Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
Our district offers a full-day Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program.
The state of California is phasing in the program which will be available to all four-year-olds by the 2025-2026 school year.
Eligibility for the program is by birthdate and follows the schedule below:
- For the 2022-23 school year, children need to turn five years old between September 2, 2022 and February, 2, 2023.
- For the 2023-24 school year, children need to turn five years old between September 2, 2023 and April 2, 2024.
- For the 2024-25 school year, children need to turn five years old between September 2, 2024 and June 2, 2025.
- For the 2025-26 school year, children need to turn four years old by September 1, 2025.
Enrollment is open of the 2023-24 school year. Please read all of the information below before enrolling your child in TK.
For the 2022-23 school year, the district has TK located on six elementary sites:
- Desert Garden Elementary (serving eligible TK students from Desert Garden, De Anza Magnet, and Harding)
- Hedrick Elementary (serving eligible TK students from Hedrick and Sunflower)
- King Elementary (serving eligible TK students from King and Lincoln)
- McKinley Elementary
- B.T. Washington Elementary.
- TK eligible students needing additional support per their IEP in our SDC TK classrooms attend classes at Lincoln Elementary and King Elementary.
For the 2023-24 school year, the district will be adding a classroom at Sunflower Elementary and eligible students from De Anza Magnet will attend Hedrick Elementary. The district will also be adding a Dual Immersion (DI) TK classroom at Harding Elementary. Please note: Students must apply for the DI program and be accepted to be enrolled in this class.
As the program is phased in, our district will be adding more classrooms at our elementary schools, as needed.
Transitional Kindergarten is a voluntary program and families may choose to participate in education for their four-year olds with our school district or other pre-school programs in the county for which they are eligible.
All TK students may also participate in our after school program (ELOP) until 6:00 pm.
If you have a child who is eligible for TK, you can register them at your neighborhood school. If you have questions regarding TK, you may ask at your neighborhood school, or call the Educational Services Department at 760-352-5712 extension 8524.